Godiva Awakes in Harpenden
A LONDON 2012 Cultural Olympiad spectacle involving dancers, actors, aerialists, musicians and pryotechnicians has passed through Harpenden this morning.
The Godiva Awakes procession, which includes a large scale puppet powered by 100 cyclists, has been going through Herts.
Today, Friday August 3, it travelled from Luton along the A1081 into Harpenden, before going along Wheathampstead Road and Harpenden Road into Wheathampstead, and down Marford Road to Welwyn Garden City.
A Harpenden man described it as, “fun for kids but a nightmare for motorists”.
Godiva will stay overnight in Hatfield, before continuing to an event at Hatfield House.
You may also want to watch:
Imagineer Productions Ltd created the concept and have organised the event.
A company spokesperson said Godiva Awakes presented Lady Godiva as a “contemporary icon” symbolic of courage, fairness, self-sacrifice and friendship, “echoing many of the Olympic values”.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
Godiva Awakes is one of number of commissions designed to celebrate the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.