Godiva Awakes in Harpenden
A LONDON 2012 Cultural Olympiad spectacle involving dancers, actors, aerialists, musicians and pryotechnicians has passed through Harpenden this morning.
The Godiva Awakes procession, which includes a large scale puppet powered by 100 cyclists, has been going through Herts.
Today, Friday August 3, it travelled from Luton along the A1081 into Harpenden, before going along Wheathampstead Road and Harpenden Road into Wheathampstead, and down Marford Road to Welwyn Garden City.
A Harpenden man described it as, “fun for kids but a nightmare for motorists”.
Godiva will stay overnight in Hatfield, before continuing to an event at Hatfield House.
You may also want to watch:
Imagineer Productions Ltd created the concept and have organised the event.
A company spokesperson said Godiva Awakes presented Lady Godiva as a “contemporary icon” symbolic of courage, fairness, self-sacrifice and friendship, “echoing many of the Olympic values”.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 4 Shortages crisis hits district
- 5 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 6 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 7 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 8 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 9 St Albans Food and Drink Festival returns at last!
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
Godiva Awakes is one of number of commissions designed to celebrate the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.