Godiva Awakes in Harpenden
A LONDON 2012 Cultural Olympiad spectacle involving dancers, actors, aerialists, musicians and pryotechnicians has passed through Harpenden this morning.
The Godiva Awakes procession, which includes a large scale puppet powered by 100 cyclists, has been going through Herts.
Today, Friday August 3, it travelled from Luton along the A1081 into Harpenden, before going along Wheathampstead Road and Harpenden Road into Wheathampstead, and down Marford Road to Welwyn Garden City.
A Harpenden man described it as, “fun for kids but a nightmare for motorists”.
Godiva will stay overnight in Hatfield, before continuing to an event at Hatfield House.
Imagineer Productions Ltd created the concept and have organised the event.
A company spokesperson said Godiva Awakes presented Lady Godiva as a “contemporary icon” symbolic of courage, fairness, self-sacrifice and friendship, “echoing many of the Olympic values”.
- 1 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 2 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 3 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 4 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 5 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 6 St Albans named best in the UK for recycling
- 7 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 8 More harsh truths in the St Albans City dressing room as mistakes cost them at Chippenham
- 9 Controversial plans to build quarry in Hatfield scrapped
- 10 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
Godiva Awakes is one of number of commissions designed to celebrate the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.