Get flipping as St Albans pancake race doubles up for 2011
PARTICIPANTS in this year’s annual St Albans Pancake Race will have two events to choose from for the first time.
As well as the main race, in which teams of four or more compete for an engraved frying man, a St Albans Flippin Walkers Race has been organised.
Both races in the St Albans council-organised event will take place at midday on Shrove Tuesday, March 8, starting outside the old Town Hall.
The St Albans Pancake Race is designed for teams whose strength lies in their ability to repeatedly run very fast, stop suddenly, flip a pancake and set off again at a sprint.
The Flippin Walkers Race on the other hand is to test the more subtle skills of being able to walk and toss a pancake continuously so good hand, eye and foot coordination will be the key to victory.
You may also want to watch:
Teams of four are invited to enter either race and fancy dress or corporate branding is welcome.
The organisers are hoping for better weather than last year when rainfall prior to the race led to a decision that participants should walk not run to avoid slipping on the pavements.
- 1 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 2 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 5 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 6 Thameslink teams up with community in Harpenden to support vaccine drive
- 7 Sandridge student takes on running challenge for Mind
- 8 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 9 Two St Albans women recognised as inspirational entrepreneurs
- 10 'Nothing will take away what she has done to our daughter'
The decision, taken under Health and Safety guidelines, brought ridicule on the council and made the national news networks.
Charles Baker, the council’s tourist and regeneration officer, urged everyone wanting to win the prestigious frying pan and have their name engraved on it for all to see to make sure they enter as soon as possible.
The deadline for registering teams is 4.30pm on the day before the race, Monday, March 7.
An entry form can be picked up from the Tourist and Information Centre (TIC) in Market Place, St Albans, or downloaded from the council’s website www.stalbans.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/tourism-and-tavel/
For further information about both races call the TIC on 01727 864511 or email email@example.com