General Election 2017: St Albans for Europe backing Daisy Cooper
- Credit: Archant
Campaign group St Albans for Europe have told the Herts Advertiser they will be backing Lib Dem Daisy Cooper in the General Election.
The organisation, which was set up following last year’s referendum, announced they will be supporting the Liberal Democrats on June 8.
Chair Fiona McAndrew said: “We have been impressed by her pro-European stance, she seems really organised and committed.”
The group will be leafletting and hope to hold events for Ms Cooper, and say they have already had a positive reaction from their members.
In March, members of the group went to London to join a 100,000-strong crowd protesting the triggering of Article 50.
Ms McAndrew said: “We have already had people donating to her campaign fund.
“It’s early days but we will be looking at tactical voting to get behind the most pro-European candidates.
- 1 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 2 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 3 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 4 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 5 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 8 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 9 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 10 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
“We have had a lot of interest, with people getting in touch to ask how they can help.”