General Election 2017: Lib Dems “prepared” for snap election
- Credit: Archant
The Liberal Democrats’ parliamentary candidate for St Albans says the party is prepared for the snap election.
Prime Minister Theresa May announced this morning there will be a general election on Thursday, June 8.
Liberal Democrat candidate, Daisy Cooper, said: “It is not wholly surprising, but I welcome the opportunity for the people of St Albans to have their say, and I look forward to campaigning.
“63% of St Albans voted to ‘Remain’, as championed by the Lib Dems, and many more oppose the reckless decision of this hard-right Conservative government to pursue a ‘hard Brexit’”
“The Labour Party is in an absolute mess, so Theresa May saw an opportunity. I think she is prepared to lose seats to the Liberal Democrats.”
You may also want to watch:
A recent internal poll by the Conservative party predicted they could lose the 27 seats they gained from the Lib Dems at the last election.
Ms Cooper said: “I will be campaigning full-time from today until 8 June and making the case that anyone who wants to avoid a disastrous hard Brexit, keep Britain in the single market, and who wants Great Britain to remain open, tolerant and united, the only party to vote for is the Liberal Democrats.”
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
She was selected as the party’s candidate last August. The Liberal Democrats came third in St Albans in 2015.