General Election 2017: Hertsmere MP in favour of snap election
- Credit: Archant
MP Oliver Dowden, whose constituency covers Radlett, has backed calls for a General Election.
Prime Minister Theresa May announced yesterday that the snap election will be held on Thursday, June 8.
Mr Dowden said: “It is right that the Prime Minister is seeking to call a General Election and I will be voting in favour of the motion when it comes before the House.
“At a time when the country faces many challenges, particularly how to secure the best deal from leaving Europe, it is in the national interest to have a strong government.
“In seeking a fresh mandate from the British people, we have the opportunity to achieve that.”
Mr Dowden also confirmed that he will stand again as MP for Hertmsere.
He said: “It has been a privilege to serve Hertsmere, my home patch, and an area I know so well for the past two years.
- 1 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 3 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 4 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 5 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 6 Man in his 20s stabbed in shopping area in Hemel Hempstead
- 7 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 8 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 9 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
“I have tried to be a strong voice for the people that elected me, locally and nationally. There is much more to do, both to improve people’s quality of life and to address Britain’s future.
“I will be seeking to be re-elected as the Member of Parliament. It would be an honour to serve again.”