General Election 2017: Hertsmere MP in favour of snap election
- Credit: Archant
MP Oliver Dowden, whose constituency covers Radlett, has backed calls for a General Election.
Prime Minister Theresa May announced yesterday that the snap election will be held on Thursday, June 8.
Mr Dowden said: “It is right that the Prime Minister is seeking to call a General Election and I will be voting in favour of the motion when it comes before the House.
“At a time when the country faces many challenges, particularly how to secure the best deal from leaving Europe, it is in the national interest to have a strong government.
“In seeking a fresh mandate from the British people, we have the opportunity to achieve that.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Dowden also confirmed that he will stand again as MP for Hertmsere.
He said: “It has been a privilege to serve Hertsmere, my home patch, and an area I know so well for the past two years.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 3 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 4 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 5 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 6 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 7 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 8 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 9 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
“I have tried to be a strong voice for the people that elected me, locally and nationally. There is much more to do, both to improve people’s quality of life and to address Britain’s future.
“I will be seeking to be re-elected as the Member of Parliament. It would be an honour to serve again.”