General Election 2017: Hertsmere MP in favour of snap election
- Credit: Archant
MP Oliver Dowden, whose constituency covers Radlett, has backed calls for a General Election.
Prime Minister Theresa May announced yesterday that the snap election will be held on Thursday, June 8.
Mr Dowden said: “It is right that the Prime Minister is seeking to call a General Election and I will be voting in favour of the motion when it comes before the House.
“At a time when the country faces many challenges, particularly how to secure the best deal from leaving Europe, it is in the national interest to have a strong government.
“In seeking a fresh mandate from the British people, we have the opportunity to achieve that.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Dowden also confirmed that he will stand again as MP for Hertmsere.
He said: “It has been a privilege to serve Hertsmere, my home patch, and an area I know so well for the past two years.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 6 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 9 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 10 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
“I have tried to be a strong voice for the people that elected me, locally and nationally. There is much more to do, both to improve people’s quality of life and to address Britain’s future.
“I will be seeking to be re-elected as the Member of Parliament. It would be an honour to serve again.”