General Election 2017: BBC London broadcast from St Albans market and Ye Olde Fighting Cocks
- Credit: Archant
Last night’s BBC London News was broadcast live from St Albans’ own Verulamium Park and Ye Olde Fighting Cocks.
There was also a piece from St Albans market, featuring interviews with candidates Anne Main, Kerry Pollard, and Jack Easton.
Daisy Cooper was interviewed separately at the Lib Dems’ campaign HQ.
On why BBC London decided to focus on St Albans, a spokesperson said: “In the run-up to the election, we have taken the programme out on a number of occassions, and we have visited several places in London and the home counties.
“St Albans has quite an interesting dynamic, so that is why we visited.
You may also want to watch:
“It was great! We were made very welcome by the landlord of Ye Olde Fighting Cocks, and were very fortunate with the weather.”
At Ye Olde Fighting Cocks, a panel of voters were given the chance to quiz an expert from the London School of Economics on everything from taxes on business to immigration.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 3 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 4 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 7 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 8 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
The pub’s landlord Christo Tofalli said: “It went fantastically.
“The reason I said yes to it was because you can celebrate being able to debate with respect, with a beer in the pub.
“I am really pleased in light of recent events that we have the ability to respect our own community.
“Everyone who came there put their best foot forward.”
The election is being held on Thursday, June 8.
BBC London’s broadcast from St Albans can be seen in full here.