Gallery: St Albans From The Air
ENJOY a rare look at the district of St Albans with this selection of new aerial photographs offering a decidedly different view of the countryside.
Internationally renowned aerial photographer Jason Hawkes selected these images to provide an overview of a variety of landscapes and settlements across the county in his new book Hertfordshire from the Air.
He explained: “The principal attraction of aerial photographs is that they are literally a bird’s eye view, allowing us to look down on the landscape from a perspective that we never normally see.
“Such pictures reveal to us things that are normally hidden from view, and often surprise us when we find that what we had imagined the layout of the land to be is in reality quite different.”
Published by Halsgrove, Hertfordshire from the Air travels on a journey around the county, taking in Welwyn Garden City, Stevenage, Rickmansworth, Watford, Hatfield and Hitchin, as well as many villages and landmarks in between.
You may also want to watch:
Closer to home, the book includes images of Brocket Hall, Butterfly World in Chiswell Green, St Albans School, Verulamium Park, Sopwell Priory and the much-lamented Bricket Wood Sports Centre.
There are also fascinating images showing the centres of both St Albans and Harpenden from the air, featuring the cathedral and clock tower in all their splendour.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
Hertfordshire from the Air is available from local bookshops priced �14.99, or from Halsgrove Direct on 01823 653777.