Gallery: St Albans Charity Cycle Ride 2008
GOOD weather on Sunday morning encouraged an extra 300 cyclists to join the hundreds of others taking part in the St Albans Rotary Clubs annual charity cycle ride. There had been already been hundreds of entries and the late surge of registrations meant t
GOOD weather on Sunday morning encouraged an extra 300 cyclists to join the hundreds of others taking part in the St Albans Rotary Clubs annual charity cycle ride.
There had been already been hundreds of entries and the late surge of registrations meant that 1,565 cyclists set off on the 40, 30, 20 and 10-mile routes around the Herts countryside to raise money for charity. The event started and finished at the Smallford Campus of Oaklands College where there was a jazz band and a barbecue provided by the local Scouts to add to the carnival atmosphere of the day.
This year Rotary had picked Grove House day hospice, ShelterBox, The Wheelchair Foundation, The Parkinson Disease Society, Water Aid and Youth Talk to benefit from the event.
Last year's even raised about £46,000 for charity and the organisers are urging those who took part to get their sponsorship money in as soon as possible.
You may also want to watch:
Did you take part in the ride? Did you enjoy it? Let us have your comments on the event.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 4 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall