Gallery: Remembrance Day 2009
OLD and young turned out in force to mark Remembrance Sunday in the district at the weekend. The Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Chris Oxley, was at the head of the procession to the city s War Memorial while the Deputy Mayor, Cllr Iqbal Zia joined Town Mayor Cl
OLD and young turned out in force to mark Remembrance Sunday in the district at the weekend.
The Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Chris Oxley, was at the head of the procession to the city's War Memorial while the Deputy Mayor, Cllr Iqbal Zia joined Town Mayor Cllr Rosemary Farmer for the commemoration in Harpenden.
Judge Findlay-Baker and the Mayor led the laying of the wreaths in the city centre and they were joined by old soldiers, including members of the St Albans Normandy Veterans Association who were making their last appearance as a group following their disbandment earlier this year.
David Laski from the St Albans Masorti Synagogue and Fokhniz Zaman, Imam of the Bangladesh Islamic Centre, gave readings as did the Rev Colin Rowe, former Methodist District chairman, before the Last Post was sounded.
You may also want to watch:
Reg Cox from the Burma Star Association read the traditional Kohima Epitaph When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today - particularly poignant following the death of another serviceman in Helmand province on Sunday morning.
The Mayor commented: "Despite the chilly damp day, a substantial crowd came to give their support and join in the Act of Remembrance with its ecumenical service involving representatives from the services and local uniformed organisations.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 4 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 5 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 6 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 In pictures: World's last 'truly wild' horse at Whipsnade Zoo
- 9 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
- 10 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
"For the first time in memory the onlookers, who spanned all generations, applauded as those involved in the service both young and old paraded down St Peter's Street after the wreath laying.