Gallery: Grove House Midnight Walk 2008
A CLEAR and starlit night greeted nearly 800 women as they took part in the Grove House Midnight Walk on Saturday. The women-only, 10-mile walk set out from St Michael s Parish Centre in St Albans at midnight and the final walker hobbled back in at 5am. T
A CLEAR and starlit night greeted nearly 800 women as they took part in the Grove House Midnight Walk on Saturday.
The women-only, 10-mile walk set out from St Michael's Parish Centre in St Albans at midnight and the final walker hobbled back in at 5am.
The Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Bert Pawle, counted down the walkers as they set off and more than £70,000 was pledged on the night for Grove House, the St Albans day hospice which is supported by the Herts Advertiser.
Staff from Champneys were on hand to provide back and foot massage for the walkers.
You may also want to watch:
Loraine Mackay, who was the last walker back, said: "It was awesome. I've never done anything like this before. The atmosphere was electrifying. It was really well organised and the marshals were wonderful."
She added: "I'm so glad I did it and although my feet are aching, I'll definitely be there for next year's walk.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 5 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved