Gallery: Football masterclass from Arsenal Ladies
ARSENAL ladies gave St Albans school girls a football masterclass at a special training session yesterday (April 10). England and Arsenal women s football captain Faye White ran the training session at Wheatfields School, for schoolgirl footballers from e
ARSENAL ladies gave St Albans school girls a football masterclass at a special training session yesterday (April 10).
England and Arsenal women's football captain Faye White ran the training session at Wheatfields School, for schoolgirl footballers from eight different St Albans junior schools.
She was accompanied by four Arsenal football coaches who taught the 45 girls, aged from eight to 11 and selected from the top players at Skyswood, Wheatfields, Beaumans Green, Sandridge, Cunnigham Hill, Fleetville, Prae Wood and Abbey junior schools.
They were taught general football skills by the pros and then played some matches. They were also given tickets to the forthcoming match between Arsenal and Chelsea women's teams, where Arsenal will be awarded the league trophy if the win.
You may also want to watch:
Headmaster of Skyswood School Bob Bridle, who went to watch the session, said it was a tremendous experience for the girls. Not only did it raise the profile of women's football, he pointed out, it was also a special day with the top ladies football team - Arsenal - and a great self esteem boost.
He added that the standard of girl's football had risen dramatically in the last three years and the majority of the girls who played in the Skyswood team also played for a club on a Saturday.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 4 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 5 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 6 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 7 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
The day was organised by STANEL (St Albans Network for Extended Learning), a consortium of 15 schools, each of which provides activities for the other schools.