Gallery: Football masterclass from Arsenal Ladies
ARSENAL ladies gave St Albans school girls a football masterclass at a special training session yesterday (April 10). England and Arsenal women s football captain Faye White ran the training session at Wheatfields School, for schoolgirl footballers from e
ARSENAL ladies gave St Albans school girls a football masterclass at a special training session yesterday (April 10).
England and Arsenal women's football captain Faye White ran the training session at Wheatfields School, for schoolgirl footballers from eight different St Albans junior schools.
She was accompanied by four Arsenal football coaches who taught the 45 girls, aged from eight to 11 and selected from the top players at Skyswood, Wheatfields, Beaumans Green, Sandridge, Cunnigham Hill, Fleetville, Prae Wood and Abbey junior schools.
They were taught general football skills by the pros and then played some matches. They were also given tickets to the forthcoming match between Arsenal and Chelsea women's teams, where Arsenal will be awarded the league trophy if the win.
Headmaster of Skyswood School Bob Bridle, who went to watch the session, said it was a tremendous experience for the girls. Not only did it raise the profile of women's football, he pointed out, it was also a special day with the top ladies football team - Arsenal - and a great self esteem boost.
He added that the standard of girl's football had risen dramatically in the last three years and the majority of the girls who played in the Skyswood team also played for a club on a Saturday.
- 1 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 2 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 3 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 4 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 5 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 8 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 9 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 10 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
The day was organised by STANEL (St Albans Network for Extended Learning), a consortium of 15 schools, each of which provides activities for the other schools.