Gallery: England Cricketers Open School Pavilion
ENGLAND cricket captain Michael Vaughan bowled a blinder when he and team mates Matthew Hoggard and Paul Collingwood opened a new school pavilion. The players were following in the tradition of two former distinguished cricketers Mike Brearley and David G
ENGLAND cricket captain Michael Vaughan bowled a blinder when he and team mates Matthew Hoggard and Paul Collingwood opened a new school pavilion.
The players were following in the tradition of two former distinguished cricketers Mike Brearley and David Gower who had previously opened new sporting facilities at Beechwood Park School in Markyate.
After formally opening the new pavilion in the sunshine on Monday, Michael Vaughan and his England team mates not only joined some of the school's pupils in the cricket nets but also wielded a rounders bat.
Welcoming them to the school, headmaster Patrick Atkinson said the new pavilion provided much-needed additional changing rooms, each with showers, to be used all year round by both boys and girls as occasion demanded as well as a referees' changing room and hospitality space.
You may also want to watch:
He thanked successive chairmen of the school's parents association and parents of past and present pupils for their generous donations which had helped provide the new pavilion.
Mr Atkinson added: "We are, justly I think, proud of our sports facilities and the opportunities that they provide for our boys and girls to develop as athletes of the future.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans