Fundraising pages set up in memory of 20 year old former St Albans student
- Credit: Archant
Two fundraising pages have been set up following the death a young woman, who unexpectedly lost her battle with a heart and lung condition on Tuesday (29).
Maddy Hardman, 20, who attended St Albans Girls School, was diagnosed with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension in December 2014, which affects the lungs and heart.
Maddy, of Shenley, was due to have intravenous (IV) treatment in January 2016 followed by a lung transplant later in life, but unexpectedly died on December 29.
Two JustGiving pages have been set up in her memory, one for flowers for her funeral, and the other to raise money for charity in her memory.
Kate Jones, 21, of St Albans, was best friends with Maddy and posted on Facebook about her loss.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “Maddy Hardman what an absolute pleasure it has been being best friends with you. We have such a special friendship, attachment and love for each other that will never go away.
“You are a massive part of my life, you’re a sister to my brother Matt Jones and a second daughter to my mum and dad. You bring joy to everyone and always have that cheeky smile on your face.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 5 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 8 Revealed: The most and least expensive places to buy a property in Hertfordshire
- 9 St Albans man's charity walk in memory of dad who died following heart attack
- 10 Black History Month: 'I am connected to the world by a multitude of threads'
“Ever since the start of STAGS we were joined at the hip and everybody knew us as ‘Kate and Maddy’ never Kate, or Maddy, we came together, always. “Thank you for all the times in school were [sic] we were talking in class and I would always get the blame for it, we were such trouble makers! I have seen you grow into the most beautiful young lady and you have grown so much confidence and I’m so proud of you.”
Kate has created a JustGiving page where people can donate money to Pulmonary Hypertension Association UK in memory of Maddy to help other people with the condition. To donate, click here.
More than £550 has been raised after a £200 target had been set by another school friend, Emily Warner, who set up a JustGiving page for flowers at Maddy’s funeral.
She posted on Maddy’s Facebook profile: “This morning heaven gained a beautiful angel. Thank you Maddy for being not only my best friend but my sister for the past 8 years.
“You have filled my life with so much laughter, joy and memories which will be cherished forever. I love you so much, always will. RIP my gorgeous girl.”