Fundraising gets driving force
WOMEN drivers will come into their own next March at a challenge event to raise money for Grove House. The day hospice is to receive proceeds from a Ladies Driving Challenge to be held on Bovingdon Airfield near Hemel Hempstead on March 14. The Fire Fight
WOMEN drivers will come into their own next March at a challenge event to raise money for Grove House.
The day hospice is to receive proceeds from a Ladies Driving Challenge to be held on Bovingdon Airfield near Hemel Hempstead on March 14.
The Fire Fighters charity will be offering women a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to drive a variety of large and unusual vehicles including fire engines, 4x4s, HGVs, JCBs and possibly tractors.
It is open to all women over the age of 17 with a full driving licence who want to take part in either the morning or afternoon sessions. Registration costs �10 and entrants are asked to raise a minimum of �90 in sponsorship.
You may also want to watch:
Proceeds will be shared between Grove House and the Fire Fighters Charity.
Organiser Laura Harden said: "The Ladies Driving Challenge promises to be an exciting day with the chance to operate a fantastic collection of vehicles often associated with male drivers.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 6 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
- 9 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
"Other types of driving event can be uncomfortably competitive with an emphasis on speed and this has been known to put off some women. The women-only challenge is much more relaxed with the focus on handling vehicles with skill and enjoying new experiences as well as raising money for a good cause."
Liz Hizli, fundraiser at Grove House, said: "We are delighted to be involved in this exciting and unusual event."
To take part in the Ladies Driving Challenge, a registration pack can be obtained from Laura on 07798 725560 or email@example.com.