Fundraiser in memory of ‘mad scientist’ St Albans biker to go ahead tomorrow
- Credit: Archant
The friends of a “mad scientist” motorbike fanatic have teamed up for a transatlantic adventure after he died suddenly of a heart attack in 2010 aged just 44.
Former Verulam Boys School pupil, Mike Page, was known for “hatching cunning plans” from inventions to record-breaking attempts.
His old friends Kevin, Tony, Tim, Dom, Ian, John and Sharon, from St Albans, Wheathampstead, Colney Heath and Redbourn collectively – otherwise known as Team Page – have been working hard to rebuild his old Triumph Bonneville motorbike and race it at the Bonneville Speed Week in August on Utah’s Bonneville Salt Flats.
In order to raise the £1,100 needed for the van hire and fuel to transport the bike, a fundraising event will be held this Saturday (June 6) at Broadlakes Social Club in London Colney.
Sharon said: “Mike was a mad scientist type who got along with and was well liked by everyone.
“His death was very unexpected and during his wake a cunning plan was hatched to rebuild his old bike that had sat in his front room in pieces for longer than some of his friends had known him!”
Activities on the night, that will be from 7pm to late, will include live music, an appearance from local comedian Rick Pistol, a DJ, BBQ and a raffle with a number of prizes, including motorbiking merchandise.
- 1 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 2 Area Guide: The historic St Michael's village area of St Albans
- 3 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 4 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 5 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 6 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 7 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 8 Sentence increase for St Albans theatre stalwart jailed for paedophilia
- 9 Daughter taking the plunge in mum's memory
- 10 St Albans is one of UK's worst locations for hay fever
Sharon said: “We raced the Triumph Bonneville in 2012 but were a few miles off a record!
“Some team members have known Mike since their teens and others never got to meet him, but one thing’s for sure, we all share the same goal – to get Mike’s name in the record books!”