Fundraiser in memory of ‘mad scientist’ St Albans biker to go ahead tomorrow
- Credit: Archant
The friends of a “mad scientist” motorbike fanatic have teamed up for a transatlantic adventure after he died suddenly of a heart attack in 2010 aged just 44.
Former Verulam Boys School pupil, Mike Page, was known for “hatching cunning plans” from inventions to record-breaking attempts.
His old friends Kevin, Tony, Tim, Dom, Ian, John and Sharon, from St Albans, Wheathampstead, Colney Heath and Redbourn collectively – otherwise known as Team Page – have been working hard to rebuild his old Triumph Bonneville motorbike and race it at the Bonneville Speed Week in August on Utah’s Bonneville Salt Flats.
In order to raise the £1,100 needed for the van hire and fuel to transport the bike, a fundraising event will be held this Saturday (June 6) at Broadlakes Social Club in London Colney.
Sharon said: “Mike was a mad scientist type who got along with and was well liked by everyone.
You may also want to watch:
“His death was very unexpected and during his wake a cunning plan was hatched to rebuild his old bike that had sat in his front room in pieces for longer than some of his friends had known him!”
Activities on the night, that will be from 7pm to late, will include live music, an appearance from local comedian Rick Pistol, a DJ, BBQ and a raffle with a number of prizes, including motorbiking merchandise.
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 6 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 7 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden
- 10 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
Sharon said: “We raced the Triumph Bonneville in 2012 but were a few miles off a record!
“Some team members have known Mike since their teens and others never got to meet him, but one thing’s for sure, we all share the same goal – to get Mike’s name in the record books!”