From Harpenden to Scotland - 350-mile charity run success
A FORMER ME sufferer who ran all the way from Harpenden to Scotland has donated thousands of pounds to his two favourite charities. Andrew Dobie, aged 26, ran a sponsored 350 miles in 24 days from his home town of Harpenden to Edinburgh late last summer a
A FORMER ME sufferer who ran all the way from Harpenden to Scotland has donated thousands of pounds to his two favourite charities.
Andrew Dobie, aged 26, ran a sponsored 350 miles in 24 days from his home town of Harpenden to Edinburgh late last summer and recently presented a cheque for �3,000 each to The Stroke Association and Action for Children.
Andrew, an ex-Sir John Lawes pupil who lives in Sibley Avenue, chose two charities very close to his heart. His grandfather, the inspiration for much of his sporting interest, suffered numerous strokes in his latter years and Andrew's contact with Action for Children came during a school placement as part of his teacher training course.
Andrew, who suffered from ME from the age of 16 to 21, said that the run was a "wonderful experience" and added: "One of the unexpected experiences was meeting comedian Eddie Izzard! He was attempting 43 marathons in 51 days to raise money for Sports Relief but took time out to share a quick brew and swap running stories in our camper van."
You may also want to watch:
Debbie Smith, of Action for Children, who accepted the cheque at a ceremony at the Inn on the Green in Harpenden a couple of weeks ago (27), said that she was impressed with Andrew's efforts: "His run was an incredible achievement and both charities are extremely grateful to Andrew and to everyone who supported him.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 5 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 10 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital