Friendly Fires return in triumph to St Albans
THE Friendly Fires made a triumphant return to their hometown of St Albans for a sell-out gig at the Alban Arena last night. Lead singer Ed Macfarlane told the crowd: I never thought I d be saying this, but hello St Albans! , as they launched into a da
THE Friendly Fires made a triumphant return to their hometown of St Albans for a sell-out gig at the Alban Arena last night.
Lead singer Ed Macfarlane told the crowd: "I never thought I'd be saying this, but 'hello St Albans!'," as they launched into a dazzling set of songs from their eponymous debut album. He later added: "This is the most surreal experience of my life!"
It was the culmination of an incredible few years for the band, who met at St Albans School back when they were 14, and have been working together in various formats ever since. Friendly Fires were formed after they left university, and won instant acclaim for their mix of classic pop and dance music.
The run-up to last night's gig saw the trio turn up for a special signing at the city's HMV store, before they took to the stage of the Arena to perform for friends, family and the fans who made it happen.
Aided by a spectacular light show, the Mercury Music Prize nominees tore through a frenetic and furious run of songs including singles Jump In The Pool, Photobooth, and the much-acclaimed Paris, which had the audience dancing wildly on the floor and in the balcony.
The home fires are definitely still burning for St Albans' finest...
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Man kicked, punched and knocked unconscious outside St Albans bank
- 3 Major development planned for centre of St Albans
- 4 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire village of Bricket Wood between St Albans and Watford
- 5 Park drama as theatre director and café staff tackle tree fire
- 6 Police arrest St Albans man on suspicion of 'harassment'
- 7 Herts' 'league of extraordinary farmers' come together to fight field fires
- 8 St Albans set for heatwave and 31C sunshine in mid-August
- 9 Drug dealer hid in child's playhouse to evade arrest in Harpenden
- 10 Harley-Davidson rider dies in A5183 Radlett crash
We want to see your photos of last night's gig, and hear what you thought of it. The best images will appear in next week's Herts Advertiser and on our website.
Please send your comments and images to firstname.lastname@example.org and don't forget to include your name and address details.