Fridge explosion fills house with ammonia

A BURST fridge filled a St Albans home with ammonia last night.

Firefighters attended the home on Sandpit Lane which was filled with the pungent gas.

Crew Commander Paul Farrow said: “It’s important to highlight to residents the dangers that can emerge if you’re keeping a fridge that you’ve had for more than 20 years. It’s easy for me to say ‘don’t keep them forever’ but anything that’s pressurised like that, must be replaced after time.

“Fortunately the owner of the house noticed what had happened but it could have filled the house with ammonia while they were sleeping.”


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter