Fridge explosion fills house with ammonia

PUBLISHED: 10:25 09 September 2011 | UPDATED: 10:46 09 September 2011

Fire engine

Fire engine

Archant

A BURST fridge filled a St Albans home with ammonia last night.

Firefighters attended the home on Sandpit Lane which was filled with the pungent gas.

Crew Commander Paul Farrow said: “It’s important to highlight to residents the dangers that can emerge if you’re keeping a fridge that you’ve had for more than 20 years. It’s easy for me to say ‘don’t keep them forever’ but anything that’s pressurised like that, must be replaced after time.

“Fortunately the owner of the house noticed what had happened but it could have filled the house with ammonia while they were sleeping.”

If you value what this gives you, please consider supporting our work. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser