Fraud offences at Sainsbury’s stores in St Albans and Harpenden
- Credit: Photo supplied
Sainsbury’s stores in St Albans and Harpenden have been targeted four times by a man who fraudulently withdrew nearly £7,000 from the supermarket giant across Herts.
In February and April this year a man visited several travel bureaux within Sainsbury’s stores throughout the county, and on nine occasions fraudulently withdrew funds through Western Union using fake passports and false names.
A spokeswoman for Herts Police said that the transactions included taking £603 from Sainsbury’s, High Street, Harpenden, on February 28 and a further £605 from the same bureau on April 15.
On April 3 the fraudster took £917 from Sainsbury’s in Everard Close in St Albans, returning on April 9 to withdraw a further £1,376.
Fraudulent transactions were also carried out at Apsley Mills in Hemel Hempstead (April 3), and the Dome roundabout Sainsbury’s store in Garston – which saw three withdrawals on one day alone, April 20, just 15 days after the man had taken £1,300 from the latter bureau.
You may also want to watch:
Officers investigating the fraud have released CCTV images of a man they would like to speak to in connection with the case.
If anyone recognises the man pictured, or has any other information about these crimes, contact temporary Detective Gareth John via the non-emergency number 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 or via www.crimestoppers-uk.org. No personal details are taken, information cannot be traced and you will not go to court.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public