Four arrested on suspicion of arson following St Albans sports centre fire
POLICE investigating a fire which destroyed most of Batchwood Golf and Tennis Centre in the early hours of yesterday (Wednesday) have made four arrests in connection with the incident.
Two 17-year-old males, a 19-year-old male and a 23-year-old male, all from St Albans, have been arrested on suspicion of arson.
Officers were called to the scene by Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service in the early hours. Firefighters tackled the blaze through the night. Most of the building was destroyed however firefighters managed to save the gym building.
Detective Sergeant Nina Yuill said: “This was an extremely severe fire and thankfully no-one was injured.
“We know that the building was on fire at 2.30am. I appreciate this is the early hours of the morning but I would like to appeal to anyone who has any information about what happened to contact police.
You may also want to watch:
“Did you hear or see anything suspicious between 2am and 2.30am or prior to that? Have you heard anyone talking strangely about what happened? Do you know anyone who came home smelling of smoke?”
Anyone with information should call the Hertfordshire Constabulary non-emergency number 101. Alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. You could be entitled to a cash reward.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Shortages crisis hits district
- 5 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 6 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 7 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 St Albans Sirens overcome seasickness to complete charity Channel swim
- 10 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner