Four arrested on suspicion of arson following St Albans sports centre fire
POLICE investigating a fire which destroyed most of Batchwood Golf and Tennis Centre in the early hours of yesterday (Wednesday) have made four arrests in connection with the incident.
Two 17-year-old males, a 19-year-old male and a 23-year-old male, all from St Albans, have been arrested on suspicion of arson.
Officers were called to the scene by Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service in the early hours. Firefighters tackled the blaze through the night. Most of the building was destroyed however firefighters managed to save the gym building.
Detective Sergeant Nina Yuill said: “This was an extremely severe fire and thankfully no-one was injured.
“We know that the building was on fire at 2.30am. I appreciate this is the early hours of the morning but I would like to appeal to anyone who has any information about what happened to contact police.
You may also want to watch:
“Did you hear or see anything suspicious between 2am and 2.30am or prior to that? Have you heard anyone talking strangely about what happened? Do you know anyone who came home smelling of smoke?”
Anyone with information should call the Hertfordshire Constabulary non-emergency number 101. Alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111. You could be entitled to a cash reward.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 8 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 9 St Albans Folk Festival 2021 to go ahead this weekend
- 10 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building