St Albans former pupil to star in plays in London and Edinburgh
- Credit: Archant
A former St Albans pupil has gained a place in two theatre companies and will perform in both London and Edinburgh this year.
Katie Friedli Walton, 19, was awarded a place in the Lyric Ensemble at the Lyric Hammersmith Theatre in London in September last year.
As part of the Ensemble, Katie will appear in the play ‘Abandon’ from Wednesday, June 20 to Saturday, June 30. The play is described as a series of intimate glimpses into the day-to-day lives of 15 Londoners.
Katie, who previously attended Beaumont School, said: “I’m feeling extremely lucky to be part of the Lyric Ensemble and to be working on our new play.
“Excitingly, the cast is over half female and half BME (black and minority ethnic), the creative team is made up of powerful women and I think it’s going to be a really fascinating study of what it means to be an emerging actor/artist/human in this world. At the moment it’s working as a collection of everyday moments that are really detailed and nuanced, but can suddenly say things much bigger.
You may also want to watch:
“I think it asks a lot about opportunity, ambition, the theatre industry, living in a city, and finding yourself as you become an adult in this society, in a really generous and complex way.
“It’s going to be messy and funny and moving and above all human - I can’t wait for people to see it.”
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 7 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 8 Honey to the bee - hiving off new flavours for local gin
- 9 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
- 10 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
Katie also joined Young Pleasance Company in March 2018 and will perform with them at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in August. She is starring in ‘The Red Shoes’, based on the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale of the same name.
Speaking about being offered a place in the company, Katie said: “It was really exciting. There was a workshop audition which was great. There were two rounds of it - a first round and a recall round.
“It’s the Hans Christian Andersen tale but it’s re-imagined and it’s set against the poverty of Germany’s interwar years.”
The play will be performed at the Pleasance Courtyard in Edinburgh from August 3 to 18.
Katie was previously involved with drama at Beaumont School, and has performed with the Abbey Theatre and was part of RADA Youth Company for a year.
After performing in both plays, Katie will take up a place studying English at Oxford University.