Former St Albans library converted to adult care services hub
ST ALBANS: A new home for adult care services has been unveiled after a �1 million refurbishment project.
The former Cunningham Library in Cell Barnes Lane, St Albans, has been renamed the Cunningham Hub and replaces the Butterwick Centre which provided services for people with learning difficulties.
Staff offer advice on work experience and social skills as well as organising leisure activities which promote independence and encourage choice. Among the activities available are bowls, cooking, art, crafts and drama.
The project as a whole was undertaken by the county council but �20,000 has been put in by the St Albans Local Strategic Partnership to support the Hub’s use by the community outside hours and for IT equipment to be installed.
Among the guests at the opening ceremony was the Mayor of St Albans, Cllr Aislinn Lee, who said: “I had a truly wonderful time meeting so many of the local people who will be making use of this facility. I particularly enjoyed the story time session and have to own up to joining in.”
You may also want to watch:
The building remained empty for several years after it closed as a branch library and was expected to be sold off until the county council accepted calls for it to be converted into community use.
An open day is being held from 10.30am to 3pm on Saturday, January 28.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 3 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 4 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 5 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 6 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 7 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 8 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 9 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans