Flats blaze after woman collapses while ironing

A FIRE broke out in a flat yesterday (Thursday) after a woman collapsed while doing the ironing. Firefighters were called to the block of flats in Park Street Lane, opposite the recreation ground, at around 2pm. Three appliances, including one from St Alb

A FIRE broke out in a flat yesterday (Thursday) after a woman collapsed while doing the ironing.

Firefighters were called to the block of flats in Park Street Lane, opposite the recreation ground, at around 2pm.

Three appliances, including one from St Albans, attended the scene where they found a fire in the bedroom.

A St Albans firefighter explained that the woman is believed to have collapsed doing some ironing and the hot iron fell and set fire to the carpet.


You may also want to watch:


The woman came around a short while afterwards and evacuated the flat which was already filled with smoke.

The fire was put out within an hour, leaving fire damage to the bedroom and smoke damage to the remainder of the flat. The woman was taken to hospital.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter