Flats blaze after woman collapses while ironing

PUBLISHED: 10:37 27 February 2009 | UPDATED: 13:57 06 May 2010

A FIRE broke out in a flat yesterday (Thursday) after a woman collapsed while doing the ironing. Firefighters were called to the block of flats in Park Street Lane, opposite the recreation ground, at around 2pm. Three appliances, including one from St Alb

A FIRE broke out in a flat yesterday (Thursday) after a woman collapsed while doing the ironing.

Firefighters were called to the block of flats in Park Street Lane, opposite the recreation ground, at around 2pm.

Three appliances, including one from St Albans, attended the scene where they found a fire in the bedroom.

A St Albans firefighter explained that the woman is believed to have collapsed doing some ironing and the hot iron fell and set fire to the carpet.

The woman came around a short while afterwards and evacuated the flat which was already filled with smoke.

The fire was put out within an hour, leaving fire damage to the bedroom and smoke damage to the remainder of the flat. The woman was taken to hospital.

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists