Shock among people of Flamstead village following suspected murder
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours are shocked at waking up to a crime scene after a murder investigation was launched in Flamstead.
Police were called to an address in the High Street at 7.45pm on Saturday, June 27.
The body of a 71-year-old woman was found with multiple injuries, and she was pronounced dead at the scene.
A 64-year-old man was arrested this afternoon in connection with the murder and is in now in custody.
Flamstead High Street is currently being guarded by police officers and the house is cordoned off with police tape.
You may also want to watch:
A police tent remains outside the row of cottages, which are thought by locals to be almshouses.
A neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: "I felt disbelief. We came here 40 years ago. You wouldn't expect it in a village like this. I was totally unaware of it until my friend called me."
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
A resident of Priory Orchard said "it is a very sad day for the village", and a woman who works near the victim's house said: "This is traumatic - people are in disbelief".
Paul Williams, who lives nearby in River Hill, said: "On Saturday, I went into St Albans, came back and went for a pint in The Spotted Dog.
"I didn't see anything unusual. I am absolutely shocked - nothing like this has ever happened here. I think there has been the odd burglary, that's it."