Fitness award for brave St Albans teenager Bailey
- Credit: Photo supplied
An “inspirational” teenager from St Albans has been rewarded for regaining his fitness after battling a rare cancer twice.
At the National Fitness Awards 2014, Westminster Lodge member Bailey Sarwa, 15, won the Member Achievement Award.
The teen was nominated for the accolade by the Everyone Active team which runs the centre in partnership with St Albans district council.
After battling neuroblastoma, a cancer of specialised nerve cells, twice in the space of eight years and undergoing intense chemotherapy, radiotherapy and bone marrow transplants, Bailey was left feeling extremely fragile.
So he began having regular personal training sessions at Westminster Lodge to help rebuild his strength and fitness, helped by personal trainer Tom Gregory.
You may also want to watch:
Lesley Garner, the centre’s general manager, said: “We are thrilled that Bailey won this award and that all his determination and hard work with Tom has been recognised.
“He is a fighter and a true inspiration to everyone around him.
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 5 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 SustFest hosting Open Food Gardens event across district
“We are very proud of Bailey and as a reward we have offered him a complimentary lifetime membership at the centre so he can continue to improve his health and fitness.”
A stunned Bailey, who met boxing legend Ricky Hatton at the ceremony, said: “I can’t believe I won.”
Cllr Annie Brewster, the council’s portfolio holder for sports, congratulated Bailey, adding, “It is an accolade that he richly deserves for all his hard work and perseverance. I am very pleased Tom and the team at Westminster Lodge are playing such a vital part in helping to rebuild Bailey’s strength and fitness.”