First trees planted at new Heartwood Forest near Sandridge
TREE planters got stuck in with their spades on Saturday to get the new Heartwood Forest underway. The first-ever tree planting at the forest in Sandridge was carried out by the first, one millionth and two millionth children to plant a tree with the Wood
TREE planters got stuck in with their spades on Saturday to get the new Heartwood Forest underway.
The first-ever tree planting at the forest in Sandridge was carried out by the first, one millionth and two millionth children to plant a tree with the Woodland Trust which is developing the forest.
The first child was the son of a Woodland Trust worker with the one millionth travelling from Tyne and Wear for the ceremony.
But the two millionth was Daniel Shadbolt, aged 10, from Sandridge who said: "It was such a surprise when my name came out of the hat to be the two millionth child to plant a tree.
You may also want to watch:
"It was quite a buzz of excitement. I love tree planting and nature and also going for walks."
The tree planting took place under the watchful eye of Woodland Trust chief executive Sue Holden who said: "Heartwood will become the largest native woodland in England and will bring significant benefit for people and wildlife. The new wood will also help to buffer and protect the small irreplaceable pockets of ancient woodland on the site. We hope this first planting is the start of a great journey to plant 650,000 trees.
- 1 Affordable housing block given green light for garage site
- 2 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 3 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 4 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 5 St Albans Feastival proves highlight of food and drink celebration
- 6 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 7 Lib Dems: City centre road closures are blighting neighbourhoods
- 8 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 9 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 10 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans