First semi-final challenge for St Albans MasterChef contestant ends in defeat
- Credit: BBC/Shine TV
The plates were spinning like records for MasterChef contestant and professional DJ Lyndsay Evans in tonight’s episode of the BBC1 show, but it wasn’t enough to keep her in the competition.
Lyndsay, 36, who lives in Tyttenhanger, was one of the last few cooks tasked with producing a dish based on her favourite ingredients for the first day of semi-finals week.
She whipped up a dish based on seaweed, which played on her love of Japanese food, and included courgette flowers stuffed with scallop and crab mousse, seared tuna and seaweed salad, and asparagus.
Judge Gregg Wallace said beforehand: “Very few cooks I’ve seen are as exciting and creative as Lyndsay. Her knowledge is incredible. She crams twice as much cooking in as most contestants will ever meet!”
“Is there enough seaweed on show?” asked fellow judge John Torode.
In judging her dish John said: “There’s nothing wow in it. I feel as though it needs more layers, more contrast both texture and flavour...”
Gregg added: “I find myself craving a flavour explosion... it’s very pleasant but not setting the world on fire.”
- 1 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 2 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 3 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
- 4 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 5 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 6 Removing asbestos from Arena will cost £250,000
- 7 More harsh truths in the St Albans City dressing room as mistakes cost them at Chippenham
- 8 'Entertaining and moving' dark comedy After Electra coming to the Abbey Theatre stage
- 9 St Albans named best in the UK for recycling
- 10 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
In the judging process, Gregg explained: “Lyndsay’s dish looked lovely, it just tasted a little ordinary.”
“The flavour of Lyndsay’s dish was a bit flat,” said John.
Unfortunately she wasn’t able to match her fellow contestants, and her time in the competition came to an end.
Catch the next episode of MasterChef on Wednesday at 8pm.