First semi-final challenge for St Albans MasterChef contestant ends in defeat
- Credit: BBC/Shine TV
The plates were spinning like records for MasterChef contestant and professional DJ Lyndsay Evans in tonight’s episode of the BBC1 show, but it wasn’t enough to keep her in the competition.
Lyndsay, 36, who lives in Tyttenhanger, was one of the last few cooks tasked with producing a dish based on her favourite ingredients for the first day of semi-finals week.
She whipped up a dish based on seaweed, which played on her love of Japanese food, and included courgette flowers stuffed with scallop and crab mousse, seared tuna and seaweed salad, and asparagus.
Judge Gregg Wallace said beforehand: “Very few cooks I’ve seen are as exciting and creative as Lyndsay. Her knowledge is incredible. She crams twice as much cooking in as most contestants will ever meet!”
“Is there enough seaweed on show?” asked fellow judge John Torode.
In judging her dish John said: “There’s nothing wow in it. I feel as though it needs more layers, more contrast both texture and flavour...”
Gregg added: “I find myself craving a flavour explosion... it’s very pleasant but not setting the world on fire.”
- 1 Person dies after being hit by a train between St Albans and London
- 2 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Car and moped crash in St Albans
- 4 Police 'concerned for welfare' of missing Hertfordshire teenager
- 5 Married at First Sight: St Albans' Whitney wants to walk down the aisle
- 6 Call for hosepipe ban to protect River Ver
- 7 Fresh call for safer crossing on route into city centre
- 8 St Albans Striders brave the heat to tackle numerous races
- 9 Main footpath closed while CCOS South work underway
- 10 Could community banking hub open in Harpenden?
In the judging process, Gregg explained: “Lyndsay’s dish looked lovely, it just tasted a little ordinary.”
“The flavour of Lyndsay’s dish was a bit flat,” said John.
Unfortunately she wasn’t able to match her fellow contestants, and her time in the competition came to an end.
Catch the next episode of MasterChef on Wednesday at 8pm.