First semi-final challenge for St Albans MasterChef contestant ends in defeat
- Credit: BBC/Shine TV
The plates were spinning like records for MasterChef contestant and professional DJ Lyndsay Evans in tonight’s episode of the BBC1 show, but it wasn’t enough to keep her in the competition.
Lyndsay, 36, who lives in Tyttenhanger, was one of the last few cooks tasked with producing a dish based on her favourite ingredients for the first day of semi-finals week.
She whipped up a dish based on seaweed, which played on her love of Japanese food, and included courgette flowers stuffed with scallop and crab mousse, seared tuna and seaweed salad, and asparagus.
Judge Gregg Wallace said beforehand: “Very few cooks I’ve seen are as exciting and creative as Lyndsay. Her knowledge is incredible. She crams twice as much cooking in as most contestants will ever meet!”
“Is there enough seaweed on show?” asked fellow judge John Torode.
You may also want to watch:
In judging her dish John said: “There’s nothing wow in it. I feel as though it needs more layers, more contrast both texture and flavour...”
Gregg added: “I find myself craving a flavour explosion... it’s very pleasant but not setting the world on fire.”
- 1 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 2 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 3 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 4 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 5 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 10 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
In the judging process, Gregg explained: “Lyndsay’s dish looked lovely, it just tasted a little ordinary.”
“The flavour of Lyndsay’s dish was a bit flat,” said John.
Unfortunately she wasn’t able to match her fellow contestants, and her time in the competition came to an end.
Catch the next episode of MasterChef on Wednesday at 8pm.