Firefighters rescue elderly woman from St Albans blaze

AN elderly woman was rescued from a fire which broke out in her kitchen on Friday night.

Firefighters from St Albans arrived at the scene in Gainsborough Avenue at 8.20pm to find the house heavily smoke-logged and the 85-year-old occupant stranded in the hallway.

Two firefighters got the woman to safety and administered first aid until the arrival of paramedics, who then took her to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The crews then went in and put out the flames in the kitchen, which are thought to have broken out when the woman went to light her stove.

Firefighters fitted smoke alarms before leaving the house which was left with smoke damage and fire damage to various kitchen appliances.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus