Firefighters dash to St Albans restaurant after smoke seen

Firefighters from St Albans Fire Station check the source of smoke at Bill's Restaurant in St Albans

Firefighters from St Albans Fire Station check the source of smoke at Bill's Restaurant in St Albans - Credit: Debbie White

St Albans Fire Station sent two fire engines to a restaurant in the city centre this morning (Tuesday) following reports of smoke from a cupboard.

Firefighters from St Albans Fire Station check the source of smoke at Bill's Restaurant in St Albans

Firefighters from St Albans Fire Station check the source of smoke at Bill's Restaurant in St Albans - Credit: Debbie White

District Commander Ian Markwell said that the service received an emergency call from Bill’s Restaurant in Chequer Street at about 8.15am.

He said: “A smoke detector had gone off as there was smoke coming from an electrics cupboard. When we opened the door there were wisps of smoke there, but they dispersed.

“As we could not establish the cause we’ve recommended to Bill’s that they have an electrician check the cupboard, and keep a close eye on it.”

The cupboard is located in Bill’s service area.


You may also want to watch:


Staff remained outside the restaurant as the crews carried out their checks.

Firefighters left the scene at about 8.40am.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter