Firefighters dash to St Albans restaurant after smoke seen

PUBLISHED: 09:14 31 March 2015 | UPDATED: 09:14 31 March 2015

Firefighters from St Albans Fire Station check the source of smoke at Bill's Restaurant in St Albans

Firefighters from St Albans Fire Station check the source of smoke at Bill's Restaurant in St Albans

Debbie White/Archant

St Albans Fire Station sent two fire engines to a restaurant in the city centre this morning (Tuesday) following reports of smoke from a cupboard.

Firefighters from St Albans Fire Station check the source of smoke at Bill's Restaurant in St AlbansFirefighters from St Albans Fire Station check the source of smoke at Bill's Restaurant in St Albans

District Commander Ian Markwell said that the service received an emergency call from Bill’s Restaurant in Chequer Street at about 8.15am.

He said: “A smoke detector had gone off as there was smoke coming from an electrics cupboard. When we opened the door there were wisps of smoke there, but they dispersed.

“As we could not establish the cause we’ve recommended to Bill’s that they have an electrician check the cupboard, and keep a close eye on it.”

The cupboard is located in Bill’s service area.

Staff remained outside the restaurant as the crews carried out their checks.

Firefighters left the scene at about 8.40am.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser