Fire started at St Albans youth club
A POTENTIALLY serious fire was started at a youth club in a cupboard containing a box of paint in aerosol cans.
Firefighters were called to an automatic fire alarm at the Pioneer Club in Heathlands Drive, St Albans, just before 1pm yesterday (Monday) afternoon and arrived to find that two groups inside the building at the time had been evacuated.
On investigating the premises, the firefighters from St Albans fire station noticed a smell of burning and discovered a blaze within an electrical monitoring cupboard underneath the stairs, which was being used to store flammable items including a box containing 27 volatile cans of spray paint.
The firefighters, wearing breathing apparatus, quickly managed to put out the flames and avoid any of the chemicals overheating and exploding, before leaving an hour later.
A St Albans firefighter said that had they not arrived so promptly the fire could have quite easily got out of hand and caused extensive damage to the building.
You may also want to watch:
The blaze is thought to have been started deliberately.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 4 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 8 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre