Fire started at St Albans youth club

PUBLISHED: 12:26 05 July 2011

Fire engine

Fire engine


A POTENTIALLY serious fire was started at a youth club in a cupboard containing a box of paint in aerosol cans.

Firefighters were called to an automatic fire alarm at the Pioneer Club in Heathlands Drive, St Albans, just before 1pm yesterday (Monday) afternoon and arrived to find that two groups inside the building at the time had been evacuated.

On investigating the premises, the firefighters from St Albans fire station noticed a smell of burning and discovered a blaze within an electrical monitoring cupboard underneath the stairs, which was being used to store flammable items including a box containing 27 volatile cans of spray paint.

The firefighters, wearing breathing apparatus, quickly managed to put out the flames and avoid any of the chemicals overheating and exploding, before leaving an hour later.

A St Albans firefighter said that had they not arrived so promptly the fire could have quite easily got out of hand and caused extensive damage to the building.

The blaze is thought to have been started deliberately.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser