Fire outside St Albans supermarket

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a blaze in a gas unit outside a busy supermarket yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon.

It appeared that a cigarette had been dropped on the floor and caught fire to leaves on the surrounding ground before spreading to a build up of foliage and rubbish underneath the large green gas box outside Sainsbury’s in Everard Close, St Albans.

When both crews from St Albans Fire Station arrived at the scene at around 1.30pm the fire had practically been put out by staff at the store and the firefighters cooled it down further to prevent the blaze from restarting, and left after around 20 minutes.

Watch commander Trevor Ray said the incident highlighted the danger of not correctly disposing of cigarettes.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter