Fire outside St Albans supermarket

PUBLISHED: 10:48 26 May 2011

Fire engine

Fire engine

Archant

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a blaze in a gas unit outside a busy supermarket yesterday (Wednesday) afternoon.

It appeared that a cigarette had been dropped on the floor and caught fire to leaves on the surrounding ground before spreading to a build up of foliage and rubbish underneath the large green gas box outside Sainsbury’s in Everard Close, St Albans.

When both crews from St Albans Fire Station arrived at the scene at around 1.30pm the fire had practically been put out by staff at the store and the firefighters cooled it down further to prevent the blaze from restarting, and left after around 20 minutes.

Watch commander Trevor Ray said the incident highlighted the danger of not correctly disposing of cigarettes.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser