Tree stump catches alight in St Albans’ Verulamium Park
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters were called to a tree stump fire in Verulamium Park this morning.
Kern Roderick-Jones, of Grange Street, spotted the fire at about 6.30am while out walking his dog, Spud.
He called the fire service and a crew from St Albans arrived, who Mr Roderick-Jones said were unable to park their fire engine close enough to the blaze.
The crew put out the fire by scooping buckets of water from Verulamium Lake and carrying them to the tree.
Mr Roderick-Jones said the stump was the result of when a tree was brought down during Storm Doris in February.
You may also want to watch:
The stump was surrounded by empty firework shells, which he believed were the cause of the fire.
He said: “The fire had obviously been going all night, it used to be quite a big dense stump but was just a shell of itself by the time I found it.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Lost Morecambe & Wise episode to be screened on TV for first time in 50 years
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 7 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
- 8 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 9 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
“The fact that there were dozens of empty fireworks packages and drinks cans lying around it would suggest that it was started deliberately on Halloween night and left to burn.’
“While it wasn’t a real emergency the fire brigade had to attend as it was in a public place and could have caused a risk to park users if left untreated.
“It’s such a waste of valuable Fire Brigade time, effort and money and whoever did this should realise that they caused life-saving resources to be used unnecessarily and maybe pose a risk to a proper emergency.”