Fire In St Albans Home Highlights Importance of Smoke Alarms
FIRE broke out in the airing cupboard of a St Albans property overnight. Firefighters from St Albans were called to Woodland Drive at 1.15am this morning after a family of three had woken up to the smell of burning and evacuated the house. On arrival the
A FIRE broke out in the airing cupboard of a St Albans property overnight.
Firefighters from St Albans were called to Woodland Drive at 1.15am this morning after a family of three had woken up to the smell of burning and evacuated the house.
On arrival the crews found a fire within the airing cupboard in the bathroom of the property and they quickly put out the flames before checking for any hot spots with a thermal imaging camera.
The bathroom was left with minimal fire and smoke damage, but a water pipe burst in the incident which caused flooding downstairs.
Watch commander Trevor Ray said it was extremely lucky that the family had woken up before the fire spread any further because their smoke alarm was not working.
He said the incident highlighted the importance of fitting smoke alarms and testing them regularly. The firefighters were visiting other residents in Woodland Drive today (Tuesday) to ensure they have working smoke alarms and will be fitting them where necessary.
- 1 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 2 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 4 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 5 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 6 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 7 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 8 MoonWalk success for the St Albans cancer survivor and her Belgian Buns
- 9 Tough mother Jenny giving back to Bone Cancer Research
- 10 Company of Ten's A Bunch of Amateurs production 'milks the comedy for all its worth' at the Abbey Theatre
To book a free home fire safety check, contact the St Albans firefighters on 01727 818919.