Fire in derelict Harpenden care home

PUBLISHED: 11:44 15 May 2009 | UPDATED: 14:07 06 May 2010

A FIRE which broke out in a derelict care home last night (Thursday) is believed to have been started by rough sleepers. Firefighters were called to James Marshall House in Leyton Road, Harpenden, at around 7.30pm to reports of smoke issuing from the buil

A FIRE which broke out in a derelict care home last night (Thursday) is believed to have been started by rough sleepers.

Firefighters were called to James Marshall House in Leyton Road, Harpenden, at around 7.30pm to reports of smoke issuing from the building.

On further inspection, firefighters wearing breathing apparatus found that the fire was contained to a large room on the first floor and quickly put out the flames.

The firefighters said it was clear the room was being occupied and said the fire was probably started by rough sleepers.

It's not the first time that a fire has broken out in the derelict care home. In June of last year, a massive blaze engulfed the building which took six crews of firefighters to control.

That fire, which left extensive damage to the building, was also started deliberately.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser