Fire guts St Albans homes - updated
FIREFIGHTERS spent over three hours battling a major blaze which tore through a house in St Albans overnight.
Crews from St Albans Fire Station were called to the scene in Artisan Crescent off Oysterfields at around 1.30am and found a semi-detached property well alight with both the ground and first floor engulfed in flames.
The fire spread to the roof of the property as well as the roof of the adjoining house, and other neighbouring homes were evacuated.
Other crews from around the county were called upon for assistance along with the aerial ladder platform which came from Stevenage.
Two calor gas cylinders at the rear of the property were also affected and had to be cooled to prevent any explosions.
You may also want to watch:
The fire was all out at about 4.30am but it rendered both homes totally uninhabitable. One person required first aid at the scene.
David Bogle, chief executive of Hightown Praetorian and Churches Housing Association, which owns both homes, said that it appears that some items were burning in an oil drum in one of the back gardens and caught fire to some tarpaulin, causing it to then spread to the property.
- 1 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 2 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 3 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 6 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 7 St Albans crowned UK's cleanest city
- 8 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 9 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
- 10 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
He said one of the families has been rehoused temporarily by the district council while the other one is staying with family members.
Mr Bogle said it has been a “lucky escape” for those involved and that he was “greatly relieved” that nobody was injured.