Fire embers start garage blaze
EMBERS from an open fire started a blaze which engulfed two garages and damaged a house at the weekend. Fire broke out in one of two garages at the property in Pondwick Road, Harpenden, at around 10.30am yesterday(Sunday) morning. It is believed that th
EMBERS from an open fire started a blaze which engulfed two garages and damaged a house at the weekend.
Fire broke out in one of two garages at the property in Pondwick Road, Harpenden, at around 10.30am yesterday(Sunday) morning.
It is believed that the blaze was started by smouldering ashes which were put in the garage after the homeowner, an 89-year-old man, cleared out the open fire.
Together with his wife he attempted to put out the fire himself but in doing so he sustained minor burns to his face and smoke inhalation.
You may also want to watch:
An ambulance took him to hospital where he is believed to have remained overnight as a precaution.
Four fire crews - from St Albans, Harpenden, Redbourn and Wheathampstead - were called to the incident.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 9 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
On arrival they found that the fire had already taken hold and spread to the adjoining garage, both of which were gutted in the blaze.
The fire caused slight damage to the exterior of the couple's detached house, their car and their neighbour's garage.
Firefighters left the scene at around 12.30pm but returned a few hours later to check that there were no smouldering embers.