Fire embers start garage blaze

PUBLISHED: 12:36 01 December 2008 | UPDATED: 13:46 06 May 2010

EMBERS from an open fire started a blaze which engulfed two garages and damaged a house at the weekend. Fire broke out in one of two garages at the property in Pondwick Road, Harpenden, at around 10.30am yesterday(Sunday) morning. It is believed that th

EMBERS from an open fire started a blaze which engulfed two garages and damaged a house at the weekend.

Fire broke out in one of two garages at the property in Pondwick Road, Harpenden, at around 10.30am yesterday(Sunday) morning.

It is believed that the blaze was started by smouldering ashes which were put in the garage after the homeowner, an 89-year-old man, cleared out the open fire.

Together with his wife he attempted to put out the fire himself but in doing so he sustained minor burns to his face and smoke inhalation.

An ambulance took him to hospital where he is believed to have remained overnight as a precaution.

Four fire crews - from St Albans, Harpenden, Redbourn and Wheathampstead - were called to the incident.

On arrival they found that the fire had already taken hold and spread to the adjoining garage, both of which were gutted in the blaze.

The fire caused slight damage to the exterior of the couple's detached house, their car and their neighbour's garage.

Firefighters left the scene at around 12.30pm but returned a few hours later to check that there were no smouldering embers.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Herts Advertiser