Fire at St Albans hotel
GUESTS at a luxury hotel had to be evacuated when a fire engulfed its laundry room overnight.
The blaze broke out in the basement of Sopwell House Hotel at around 1.30am this morning and although it was confined to the laundry room, smoke travelled up through the laundry lift and spread across the hotel.
Some 100 people had to be evacuated and the guests weren’t allowed to return to their rooms until around 3.30am.
Firefighters from St Albans and Hatfield battled the blaze and entered the hotel wearing breathing apparatus to douse the flames.
A St Albans firefighter said the laundry room, measuring around five metres by 10 metres, was badly damaged in the fire and its contents – including towels and robes – destroyed.
You may also want to watch:
A fire investigation is underway to determine the cause of the fire.
- 1 Can you help after man left unconscious outside St Albans pub?
- 2 Lease up for grabs on vacant Batchwood Hall building
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 Birthday charity walks in brother's memory
- 5 Driver hospitalised after three-vehicle accident on M1 near Redbourn
- 6 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 7 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 8 Pupils' brighter walk to school thanks to developer
- 9 Market trader says goodbye to beard after 15 years
- 10 St Albans MP vows to fight developer 'free for all' to protect Herts Green Belt