Fire at delicatessen in London Road, St Albans

A SMOKE alarm came to the rescue when a fridge in a St Albans delicatessen caught fire this morning. A refrigeration unit on the shop floor of Taste of Eastern Europe, a Polish and Eastern European food store on London Road, caught alight at around 1.50a

A SMOKE alarm came to the rescue when a fridge in a St Albans delicatessen caught fire this morning.

A refrigeration unit on the shop floor of Taste of Eastern Europe, a Polish and Eastern European food store on London Road, caught alight at around 1.50am, causing smoke to rise to the flat above and set off the smoke alarm.

Everyone was safely evacuated before two fire engines from St Albans station arrived on the scene and extinguished the fridge with hose reels.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter