Film Review: The Artist
GEORGE Valentin (Jean Dujardin) was the world’s most famous silent movie actor, until ‘The Talkies’ gained popularity in the late 1920’s, abandoning his craft in favour of bright young stars like Peppy Miller (B�r�nice Bejo).
Studio exec Al Zimmer (John Goodman) pushes ahead into the new era of cinema, taking Valentin’s prot�g�, Peppy, with him, as the once great star falls further from the public eye and deeper into depression.
The enigmatic leads have undeniable chemistry and successfully carry the film without a stitch of dialogue between them, but the unsung heroes are most definitely Valentin’s Jack Russell dog and composer, Ludovic Bource, who’s music does all the work of a traditional script, and more.
Given the lack of dialogue, slower sections really do slow down, but this is perhaps done to mirror Valentin’s despair and loneliness at these points, however, it’s enough of a blip to stop The Artist from being a five star smash.
- 1 Man stabbed in St Albans
- 2 WATCH: Delivery driver caught fly-tipping in rural area
- 3 Aldi prioritises St Albans for new store
- 4 Area Guide: The historic St Michael's village area of St Albans
- 5 St Albans paedophile jailed for trying to arrange online abuse
- 6 St Albans woman defies odds to become oldest with Rett Syndrome
- 7 Sentence increase for St Albans theatre stalwart jailed for paedophilia
- 8 Major architectural firm moves into St Albans
- 9 Daughter taking the plunge in mum's memory
- 10 Drum kit, CD player and stereo stolen in burglary
If you’re still unconvinced that you’d be entertained by a silent film, lead actor, Jean Dujardin, just won a Golden Globe for best male performance, proving that a story can be told through music, facial expressions and body language.
The wonder of The Artist is, admittedly, largely due to its Unique Selling Point, but innovation should always be rewarded, especially amid the recent trend for sequels, prequels, and re-releases.
There’s also the small matter of the ten Oscar nominations the film received last week.