Film Review: The Artist
GEORGE Valentin (Jean Dujardin) was the world’s most famous silent movie actor, until ‘The Talkies’ gained popularity in the late 1920’s, abandoning his craft in favour of bright young stars like Peppy Miller (B�r�nice Bejo).
Studio exec Al Zimmer (John Goodman) pushes ahead into the new era of cinema, taking Valentin’s prot�g�, Peppy, with him, as the once great star falls further from the public eye and deeper into depression.
You may also want to watch:
The enigmatic leads have undeniable chemistry and successfully carry the film without a stitch of dialogue between them, but the unsung heroes are most definitely Valentin’s Jack Russell dog and composer, Ludovic Bource, who’s music does all the work of a traditional script, and more.
Given the lack of dialogue, slower sections really do slow down, but this is perhaps done to mirror Valentin’s despair and loneliness at these points, however, it’s enough of a blip to stop The Artist from being a five star smash.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 4 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 9 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 10 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
If you’re still unconvinced that you’d be entertained by a silent film, lead actor, Jean Dujardin, just won a Golden Globe for best male performance, proving that a story can be told through music, facial expressions and body language.
The wonder of The Artist is, admittedly, largely due to its Unique Selling Point, but innovation should always be rewarded, especially amid the recent trend for sequels, prequels, and re-releases.
There’s also the small matter of the ten Oscar nominations the film received last week.