Father and son join St Albans Jingle Bell Jog event in memory of mother
- Credit: Archant
A father and son will be taking part in the Grove House Jingle Bell Jog next weekend in memory of their beloved wife and mother, who died this year.
Chris and Tom Green will be running the 5km event for Sarah Green, joined by her friend Susan Lonie.
Sarah died in March this year at the age of 46, one year after being diagnosed with a brain tumour. Chris and Sarah had two children, Tom, 14 and Florrie, 11. While Sarah was unwell she attended Grove House on a Friday as well as being nursed by the hospice at home nurses.
Chris, 44, said: “We wanted to do something for the charity to give something back and thought the Jingle Bell Jog looked like fun. Sarah liked going to Grove House as it gave her the opportunity to speak to the nurses. She also found it helpful to talk to other people who were going through what she was going through.”
Chris added: “It has been very difficult for the children, but they are amazing and coping very well. Obviously they get sad and it was difficult around Sarah’s birthday in particular, but they don’t want to be seen any differently from their friends so are just getting on with things.”
The Jingle Bell Jog takes place on Sunday December 7, starting outside the Waterend Barn, just off St Peter’s Street in St Albans. Participants are encouraged to gain sponsorship for the event with every penny going to help local people with cancer and other life-limiting illnesses.
The associated Reindeer Run is open to families and youngsters of all ages and entry costs just £10 to include reindeer antlers and a medal.
- 1 Body of man in his 40s found in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Trains between St Albans and Luton cancelled due to fire
- 3 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 4 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 5 Motorcyclist in serious but stable condition after B556 London Colney crash
- 6 Married at First Sight: St Albans' Whitney wants to walk down the aisle
- 7 Main footpath closed while CCOS South work underway
- 8 Motorbike strikes barrier on North Orbital Road near St Albans
- 9 Man threatened officers with 'bomb' at police station
- 10 Man arrested following alleged St Albans M&S theft
Entry to the Jingle Bell Jog is open to anyone over ten years of age and costs £17 which includes a Santa suit and medal for all participants. Members of the cast of Jack and the Beanstalk, this year’s Alban Arena pantomime, will be there to start the race.
The fun will begin at 11am for the shorter 1.5km Reindeer Run, and families of all ages are welcome to run, walk or toddle the course. Then promptly at 11.30am hundreds of red suited Santas will take their places to run 5km around the town.
For further information or to enter visit www.renniegrove.org/jinglebelljog or phone 01442 820740 and the Grove House fundraising team will be pleased to help you.