Fatal lorry crash closes M1 slip road and causes traffic chaos
A FATAL road accident shortly after 4am this morning (Wednesday) has caused chaos on local roads. A man died after a lorry overturned on the roundabout which accesses Junction 9 of the M1 and the A5 at Markyate. The vehicle involved was a red tipper arti
A FATAL road accident shortly after 4am this morning (Wednesday) has caused chaos on local roads.
A man died after a lorry overturned on the roundabout which accesses Junction 9 of the M1 and the A5 at Markyate.
The vehicle involved was a red tipper articulated lorry laden with domestic waste. The driver was taken to Hemel Hempstead Hospital but his injuries proved fatal.
Police accident investigators and vehicle examiners are currently at the scene and road closures are expected to remain in place well into this morning.
You may also want to watch:
Currently access from Dunstable to the southbound M1 is blocked with traffic being diverted on to the northbound M1. In addition northbound traffic on the A5 from Hemel Hempstead and Redbourn is unable to access the M1 northbound and is being diverted onto the southbound. The northbound exit slip road at Junction 9 is also currently closed.
As a result local roads have been very busy with particular problems in Harpenden.
- 1 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 4 11 of St Albans' prettiest streets
- 5 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 8 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 9 An old friend returns after 30 years
- 10 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp