Fatal lorry crash closes M1 slip road and causes traffic chaos
A FATAL road accident shortly after 4am this morning (Wednesday) has caused chaos on local roads. A man died after a lorry overturned on the roundabout which accesses Junction 9 of the M1 and the A5 at Markyate. The vehicle involved was a red tipper arti
A FATAL road accident shortly after 4am this morning (Wednesday) has caused chaos on local roads.
A man died after a lorry overturned on the roundabout which accesses Junction 9 of the M1 and the A5 at Markyate.
The vehicle involved was a red tipper articulated lorry laden with domestic waste. The driver was taken to Hemel Hempstead Hospital but his injuries proved fatal.
Police accident investigators and vehicle examiners are currently at the scene and road closures are expected to remain in place well into this morning.
You may also want to watch:
Currently access from Dunstable to the southbound M1 is blocked with traffic being diverted on to the northbound M1. In addition northbound traffic on the A5 from Hemel Hempstead and Redbourn is unable to access the M1 northbound and is being diverted onto the southbound. The northbound exit slip road at Junction 9 is also currently closed.
As a result local roads have been very busy with particular problems in Harpenden.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 4 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 5 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 6 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 7 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 8 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden