Wheathampstead brewery awarded for protecting local environment
- Credit: Supplied by HMWT
A Wheathampstead brewery has won an award for its commitment to reducing environmental impact and using local ingredients.
Farr Brew, in Coleman Green Lane, won in the ‘Green Business’ category at the SIBA (Society of Independent Brewers) Business Awards, which were held at the Exhibition Centre in Liverpool on Wednesday, March 14.
The brewery has also partnered with Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust to ensure that the area where they grow their hops is wildlife friendly. The special edition beer will go on sale later in the year.
Nick Farr, who owns the brewery, said: “Farr Brew’s principles are all about community and the environment we are part of, so partnering with the Trust is a natural decision.
“We believe that we should all keep the planet as green and beautiful as possible and we try to ensure that conservation is at the heart of any business decision we make. We’re proud of our Hertfordshire home and we’re delighted to be working with the Trust to keep it wild.”
The SIBA Business Awards were presented by Radio 2 broadcaster Nigel Barden. SIBA chief executive Mike Benner said: “The quality and quantity of entries this year was simply staggering and to be named a winner in the awards represents a huge achievement for these breweries – they really are the best of the best in terms of passion, innovation and excellence in the independent craft brewing industry.
“I would particularly like to congratulate Signature Brew on being voted brewery business of the year, they have clearly proved themselves to the judges.”
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Police arrest St Albans man on suspicion of 'harassment'
- 3 Man kicked, punched and knocked unconscious outside St Albans bank
- 4 Major development planned for centre of St Albans
- 5 Park drama as theatre director and café staff tackle tree fire
- 6 Area Guide: The Hertfordshire village of Bricket Wood between St Albans and Watford
- 7 Investigation over unauthorised development on Green Belt site
- 8 Herts' 'league of extraordinary farmers' come together to fight field fires
- 9 Drug dealer hid in child's playhouse to evade arrest in Harpenden
- 10 Harley-Davidson rider dies in A5183 Radlett crash
To celebrate its partnership with the brewery, Herts and Middlesex Wildlife Trust is running a competition to name Farr Brew’s special edition beer. The winner will see the beer labelled with their successful entry and also receive a brewery tour for two and 12 free bottles of beer.
Tim Hill, conservation manager for the Wildlife Trust, said: “We are thrilled to be partnering with Farr Brewery. The brewery shares our love of local wildlife and I look forward to helping manage the land where they grow their hops.”
Entries to name the beer should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date is Saturday, March 31.