Farewell to St Albans councillor
THE funeral of leading councillor Mike Ellis will be held at St Albans Abbey on Monday morning. Cllr Ellis, 68, had served as a county councillor for St Albans South and had been a district councillor since 2004, representing Ashley Ward. He was also port
THE funeral of leading councillor Mike Ellis will be held at St Albans Abbey on Monday morning.
Cllr Ellis, 68, had served as a county councillor for St Albans South and had been a district councillor since 2004, representing Ashley Ward.
He was also portfolio holder for environment and sustainability until he stepped down from the post due to ill health last year and he had been instrumental in implementing the council's twin bin recycling scheme.
Among the many tributes which poured in following his death at the end of March, he was described as a councillor of the "highest calibre."
You may also want to watch:
His funeral will start at 10.30am but attendees are asked to arrive at the West End of the Abbey by 10.10am to ensure everyone is seated in time.
There will be family flowers only but anyone wishing to donate to the Sopwell Ward at St Albans City Hospital should do so through Philips Funeral Service, Dartmouth House, 68 Alma Road, St Albans, AL1 3BL.
- 1 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Appeal for witnesses after fatal road accident
- 4 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 5 St Albans street remembers sacrifices of WWI heroes
- 6 Aboyne Lodge celebrates new headteacher and revamp
- 7 Market trader pledges to shave beard for new St Albans recovery home
- 8 No cars mean children can play out in streets
- 9 Remembering Morris Minor Owners Club treasurer and St Albans stalwart
- 10 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images