Fan-toss-tic victory for the planners
PLANNERS proved to be a dab hand with the frying pan when they surged to victory in the annual St Albans pancake race. There were no appeals as the Planning Boys from St Albans council breasted the tape to be awarded the coveted Frying Pan by Deputy Mayor
PLANNERS proved to be a dab hand with the frying pan when they surged to victory in the annual St Albans pancake race.
There were no appeals as the Planning Boys from St Albans council breasted the tape to be awarded the coveted Frying Pan by Deputy Mayor Cllr Geoff Harrison.
They saw off competition from 13 other teams including previous winners the St Albans Clergy whose challenge faltered when one of their team members had a dramatic tumble.
Last year's winners, St Albans Environmental Health, were narrowly forced into second place while Barneys Bar and Restaurant and the Verulam Arms pub also made the final.
You may also want to watch:
Despite the wind and with storm clouds overhead the teams, which included Barclays Bank, Grove House, Boots and Bretherton Law as well as a number of others linked directly or indirectly with the council, were in fine flipping form.
The winning team keeps the trophy for the year before relinquishing it on Shrove Tuesday 2009.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 4 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 5 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 8 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 9 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe