Fan-toss-tic victory for the planners
PLANNERS proved to be a dab hand with the frying pan when they surged to victory in the annual St Albans pancake race. There were no appeals as the Planning Boys from St Albans council breasted the tape to be awarded the coveted Frying Pan by Deputy Mayor
PLANNERS proved to be a dab hand with the frying pan when they surged to victory in the annual St Albans pancake race.
There were no appeals as the Planning Boys from St Albans council breasted the tape to be awarded the coveted Frying Pan by Deputy Mayor Cllr Geoff Harrison.
They saw off competition from 13 other teams including previous winners the St Albans Clergy whose challenge faltered when one of their team members had a dramatic tumble.
Last year's winners, St Albans Environmental Health, were narrowly forced into second place while Barneys Bar and Restaurant and the Verulam Arms pub also made the final.
You may also want to watch:
Despite the wind and with storm clouds overhead the teams, which included Barclays Bank, Grove House, Boots and Bretherton Law as well as a number of others linked directly or indirectly with the council, were in fine flipping form.
The winning team keeps the trophy for the year before relinquishing it on Shrove Tuesday 2009.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 8 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
- 9 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity
- 10 A New York state of mind